Is my La Liga team any good?
Are you a fan of FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, or Atletico Madrid? Do you want to know objectively how good your La Liga team is in comparison to their peers? We can answer this basic question. The Aggregate Rankings are the snapshot of where every team in La Liga is ranked compared to their opponents and current standings.
How does one use this page to better understand their La Liga team?
- Start with the Aggregate Rankings – Go simple. Does your favorite team have a red, yellow, or green color? What is their overall rank, and what other teams are ahead of them or behind them?
- What is your favorite La Liga team’s Points Per Match (PPM) Rank?Â Compared to their peers, where does your favorite team rank overall for points per match?
- Is your favorite La Liga team under-rated or over-rated? Again, go simple. Is the over/under rating green or red?Â Does the aggregate rank match closely to the current PPM Rank? Is there a big discrepancy? If your team has a large positive (green) number, then you may be poised for some improvement. If there’s a large negative (red) number, be concerned that your team may have over performedÂ its current points earned. Ask yourself why by looking at the other pages.
Please explain how the Aggregate Rankings Work for La Liga
For these soccer stats, I take the rank of each team’s goal differential (which is goals scored per game minus goals allowed per game) and then average it with their Three Factors rank. The Three Factors are a simple model based on high-level stats, but they can share a lot of useful information quickly. Let’s say that a team has an Aggregate Rank of 1.5. They rank #2 on goal differential and #1 on the Three Factors rank. The average comes out to 1.5. If this team ranks #1 in PPM, then this team is overvalued on the aggregate rankings by -0.5.
This is the starting point for looking at La Liga. Want to dig in further? Ask yourself the following two questions:
- Does My Team Have a Good Offense or Defense? Click Here for La Liga Goal Differential
- Why is My Team Good (or Bad)? Try Here for the La Liga Three Factors
Stats Nerds: Link to the La Liga data set can be found here. Please email with questions.